More Than Meets the Eye, True Stories about Death, Dying, and Afterlife covers many aspects of the dying and grieving process and sheds light on euthanasia, suicide, near-death experience, and spirit visits after the passing of a loved one. ___________________________________________

Monday, March 30, 2009

Introduction to More Than Meets the Eye

There are many commonly held views regarding death and the existence of an afterlife. Some Westernized Americans view death as a fearful tragedy, the end of a life, a sad finality. Most view it as a separation between the physical and non-physical realms. In contrast, the Ancients grieved when a baby was born and rejoiced when someone died. Regardless of our religion or culture, most of us are curious about where we came from, and what our existence after death might hold.

Our physical body is not who we are. It is only the container or vehicle for our soul. When we see someone riding a bus we know that they still exist even when they get off. It’s the same with us. We exist regardless of whether we have a physical body or not. Like photosensitive eyeglasses that turn dark in the sun or transparent in the dark, a soul may choose to alter its expression or change its appearance in order to better suit its needs. Removing the limitations of a gravity-bound human body allows the soul to travel in spirit form and complete tasks in another dimension. Be assured that if your loved one has passed on, they are in spirit form and they have work to do in other worlds and realms. They are likely to be near you even though you may be unaware of their presence.

I was raised in a Southern Baptist home and continued in a fundamental religion until I was forty years old. You may be wondering how someone who was raised in such a dogmatic environment ever came to believe in reincarnation. I have to admit I was adamantly opposed to the idea when a friend of mine first mentioned it. She recommended a book by Elizabeth Clare Prophet titled Reincarnation: The missing Link in Christianity. After reading the book, I saw with new eyes, the many references to reincarnation throughout the Bible and became even more curious. I began researching and found more information that seems to indicate that we are eternal souls with ongoing missions; that time exists only on earth; and that everything is happening simultaneously. It dawned on me that being in human form is only one way we progress spiritually on our path back to our Creator.

As most people do, I’ve always believed in angels. As a child, I interacted with what is often believed to be “imaginary playmates” and thought nothing strange of it. As a teenager, I continued to be a spiritual seeker, but as I became an adult, my curiosity and openness to the spirit world caused me to feel like a misfit. Questioning the dogma and legalistic practices dictated by the clergy, I was cast out of several churches that adhered to a rigid, traditional belief system. I finally realized that I was never going to fit into a mainstream denomination. Against my first husband’s approval, and in spite of his fearful warnings about what I might be getting into, I began attending churches that were more accepting of spiritual phenomenon. A few years after being “baptized in the Holy Spirit” in a Pentecostal church, my ability to sense the presence of an angel or spirit increased. At times, I was afraid of what I was experiencing and thought that maybe these were the “demons” my religious instruction had warned me about—or perhaps I was going crazy! The church I was attending taught spiritual warfare tactics, so I began doing battle with these entities, using Bible scripture and commanding them to leave me or other people alone! All the while, day visions and night dreams were becoming more conversational and involved more loving beings who had no intent to harm me. I started listening more and battling less.

In 1988, my grandfather died. He began coming to me in my dreams and sharing his experience in the Afterlife. He even gave me helpful advice regarding a problem I was having with my daughter. I followed his advice and the problem was quickly solved. In 2000, my life fell apart and I began to challenge the belief system I had held. I began researching church history and other religions. I explored other spiritual paths to see what they had to say about spirits, angels and afterlife. Slowly, I learned to trust my inner guidance and as a result, I embraced a more compassionate approach to dealing with the deceased spirits who kept finding their way to me. Many were afraid and confused souls. Now I know they wanted help in finding the Light of God and crossing over to the Other Side.

After I read Sylvia Browne’s book, Past Lives, Future Healing, I knew reincarnation was not only possible, but that the theory of cellular memory was very credible. After having a past-life regression with a Karma Releasing audio tape by Doreen Virtue, I was convinced that I had lived many times on earth. Today, I never doubt it. Memory of my past lives actually helped me resolve some unfinished business and clarify my present journey.

The point of this book is not to persuade you that one way is correct or incorrect, or to create a new doctrine, but rather to offer information and insight that may assist you in creating your own beliefs about this mysterious process of transitioning back to God/Source. Many people refuse to consider any explanation that doesn’t match the viewpoints they already own. If you are convinced ahead of time (like I was years ago) that something is or isn’t true, you will be tempted to find data that substantiates your belief. Therefore, I encourage you to keep an open mind and consider the ideas presented in this book as if you were in your car, curiously trying out a new road to see where it might lead. You may find that it brings you to a new or better understanding of death and afterlife. You may discover a road less traveled, and realize it was running parallel to your familiar route all along. Perhaps you, too, will see more than meets the eye.

No comments: